show your support!
I am NINJA_PUNCH
  • NINJA_PUNCHNINJA_PUNCH
    1107.00 KarmaPosts: 185
    I found my way over to iHateTheUSMC back in mid-2011, when this site was still just a simple anonymous discussion page. At the time, I had about eight months left on active duty.

I spent four years in the enlisted ranks as a Combat Engineer, from 2008 until 2012, and got out as a Corporal with an honorable discharge.

I moved around a good bit during this time and spent portions of my enlistment on Pendleton, Lejeune, Schwab (okinawa), Hawaii (for about five months), and I had one deployment to Afghanistan in 2010.  During my time moving from base to base, I noticed an interesting trend: Every unit I went to was filled with marines who thought their unit was the worst one in the corps, and that - if they could just get to a "real" unit - everything would be better. The funny part is that all of them were half-right: each unit I ever saw seemed to be competing for "worst unit in the marine corps". After a while, I was forced to realize that it wasn't the units that were the problem, the whole marine corps was just Fractally messed up. That's when I really began to despise the marine corps as an institution.

I rounded out my time by spending the last 10 months of my enlistment on Edson Range MCRD SD (which is technically located on Pendleton, not the Recruit Depot) "training" recruits from the cushy position of "Target Factory NCO". I put "training" in quotation marks because a Drill Instructor would've probably soiled himself if he had heard the sorts of things I told these recruits. My personal favorite was the handful of times that I sat my recruit working party down after a day of making targets, pulled out my copy of "War is a Racket" by MGen Smedley D. Butler, and instructed the Recruits to read certain choice sections of it aloud. It was glorious.

At any rate, I'm now out of the marine corps, attending college full-time, and generally loving life. The grass is greener on the civilian side my friends.

Safety and Peace
  • S_The_ModS_The_Mod
    1513.00 KarmaPosts: 184
    All hail NINJA_PUNCH! For what he did with recruits.  I would love to see someone try to beat this.
  • FoxtrotTangoNovemberFoxtrotTangoNovember
    495.00 KarmaPosts: 90
    Outstanding, Ninja. Way to de-motivate those boots. I'll bet they freaked out. LOL
  • NINJA_PUNCHNINJA_PUNCH
    Thank you kindly.

If I didn't have time to sit them down, I'd tell them all to pull out a pen and their little notebook, then pick a recruit and say "Tell me something about Smedley Butler." They would always respond "Major General Smedley Butler; two Medals of Honor, sir." (You have to love bootcamp indoctrination, lol). Then I'd take out my book and say "This is his book, 'War is a Racket'. As you can see, it's a pretty small book, and it has fairly large print, so it's pretty easy to read the whole thing in one sitting. I highly recommend that you all get a copy and read it once you get out of boot camp. If you don't want to spend money on a book, you can find the whole book online if you Google: 'War is a Racket, Smedley Butler'."

My other favorite bit of "training" was when I would sit the recruits down for lunch, hand them my "tactically acquired" IT Card and say, "Read this, pass it along, and get it back to me. If you get caught with it, I will deny everything." It was beautiful.

Since the Target Factory was quite possibly the only shop in the entire recruit training process that treated recruits with respect I really wonder how many recruits graduated and then actually went off and read that book.
  • S_The_ModS_The_Mod
    1513.00 KarmaPosts: 184
    I remember when I was a recruit we did that work a week with all the shops around MCRD and I got to work with the gear people at supply. They way they organized all their records and kept track of who had what was a mess. I unfucked their entire operation in 2 days lol. Oh and the marines in charge there were really cool. They let me go on myspace.
    Hooyut, you can read it here for free: https://archive.org/details/WarIsARacket
  • NINJA_PUNCHNINJA_PUNCH
    You can get them for $5 a piece on Amazon.com so $60 will buy you a dozen copies to distribute. Either that or maybe you could try to print off the internet version at the library or LRC and hand them out.

Reading through this again I just started thinking of all of the rules that I broke regarding interacting with recruits. I remember once towards the end of the week (We had the same recruits every day for a week, so they got to know us a little bit) I had a recruit come up to me and tell me that he'd gotten a letter from his family and his fiancé had something terribly wrong with her medically, but they weren't sure what it was when they wrote him the letter, and he was understandably very upset about it. He asked me if I knew of any way that he would be able to convince his D.I.s to give him a phone call to figure out what was wrong with her. I thought it over for a couple of minutes because I could tell by the look on his face that he wasn't just marrying his fiancé for the BAH or anything like that so I wanted to help him, but at the same time I knew that his D.I.s would never give him a phone call and would instead just ride him about "Jodie" incessantly.

Eventually I took out my cell phone, sat it down on the table next to me and said "I'm not allowed to give you a phone call, but I'm going to walk into the office and sit down. In ten minutes, I'm going to come back out and my phone will be on this table right where I left it. I'm not saying you can use my phone to call your fiancé, but if I come back and there happens to be a call on my phone to a number that I don't recognize, so be it."

I came back out 20 minutes later, picked up my phone and cleared the call log. I considered that my good deed for the day.

Cool story, Ninja.

Hooyut, you can just download the PDF version of "War is a Racket" from that link above for free, save the file to your PC, and print out all the copies you want. It's only fourteen pages long.

I hear you. Printer toner isn't exactly cheap, either.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Karma Leaders

Recent Activity