How to Get Out of the Marine Corps

how to get out of the marine corps

This information regarding how to smoothly Check Out of your unit and EAS from the marine corps was compiled at Camp Pendleton between February and June of 2012.  Be advised that the Transition Assistance Program (TAP) is a Dept of Labor course, and not subject to military orders, etc.  As such, while the procedures may vary slightly between locations, it should be fairly consistent.  If your experience is different from what I’ve described, please let me know in a comment so I can continue to provide accurate information.


Step one: Medical:  For most of us on this site, our enlistments have been spent getting injured in some way shape or form, and then getting a couple of Motrin from the corpsman and going back to training because going to the BAS is eternally frowned upon.  Your first step is to correct this.  Go to Medical, and get any little ache or pain you may feel documented, this will assist you in applying for VA Disability benefits.  It is not required to document a condition for you to claim it for VA benefits, but it is recommended.  If you do not have it documented, the VA may ask for a letter from a co-worker or the chain of command supporting your story.

Also, when they ask you to describe your pain on a scale of 0-10 (with 10 being the worst pain imaginable) DO NOT give any answer less than an 8.  They are asking you to assign a number to your pain, when the fact of the matter is you are either in pain or you are not, so hand out 8s, 9s, and 10s and make them take note. (This is the advice given to me by the TAP class instructor; I’m not just making this up)

Finally, there is a paper that should be in your Medical Record called the “Medical Surveillance Questionnaire” (If it’s not there, you need to get one).  This is your chance to SELF-REPORT any contact with hazardous materials (i.e. CLP, CS gas, OC spray if you’ve been pepper sprayed, mold, fumes and smoke from an Afghanistan burn pit, etc.).  You DO NOT need a corpsman to fill out the Medical Surveillance Questionnaire, you can do it all by yourself.  (Please note that any contact with hazardous materials should be filled out in PART III, which is on the backside of the sheet about halfway down.)


Step two: Final Physical:

The Final Physical can be done any time within 6 months of your EAS.  While it CAN be done after TAP class, it is recommended that you do it beforehand.  To make this go as smoothly as possible there are a few things you should make sure you have done.

The first thing you’re going to want to know is that they’re going to need to do a blood draw, and a urine sample.  For this blood draw they need you to have not eaten or drank anything (except water) for the past 12 hours.  Also, no tobacco products for the past 12 hours.  Note: The docs at my BAS informed me that they have a lot of marines who come in having not eaten for almost 18 hours, and they pass out during the blood draw just from not having eaten for so long and then having a portion of their blood removed.  To prevent this, it is recommended that you walk in the door to medical after 11 hours and 30 minutes of no eating or drinking, that way by the time the paperwork is done you’re right at 12 hours and your chance of passing out from the combination of hunger and blood loss is as minimal as possible.

[Update, Nov 27 2013: One commenter below has informed me that Medical is no longer requiring you to fast prior to the blood draw. If anyone reading this could confirm or deny this information I'd be very appreciative.]

Now, when you walk in the door at 11 hours and 30 minutes of no food, drink, or tobacco, one of the docs is going to take you into his office and ask some basic questions about your health while they go through and look at your medical record.  (This is a good time to bring up any little ache or pain that you may want documented for VA benefits)  The doc will also give you a packet of paper for you to fill out that asks more detailed questions about your health.

Note: This packet will also inform you that you will need to have an up to date Dental exam, Hearing conservation exam (audiogram), and Optometry exam (ONLY if you wear glasses).  Females also need to complete a Well Woman exam.  You will need to bring the paperwork packet with you to these appointments so that they can sign off that you’re healthy enough to EAS.

Once the packet is complete return to your BAS and they will schedule your Final Physical.  Getting the actual physical done is very quick; I was in and out in less than 20 minutes.  All you really need to remember is to be sure to bring the packet with you.  The doc is going to ask a couple of questions, check your pulse, check your blood pressure, etc, all the basic medical stuff that everyone knows about, and then they’ll sign your paperwork, and you’ll be done and on your way.  Once you’re done, look through the packet and find the “Memorandum For The Record” and ensure that both the “Medical Officer” and “Dental Officer” lines have been signed.  Ensure that you keep the “Memorandum For The Record” in a safe place, you will need to take it to IPAC when you EAS or go on Terminal Leave.


Step three: TAP Class:

Eligibility Requirements:  Less than 1 year remaining in Active Duty.  (Technically it is supposed to be done before you’re 90 days out, however they realized that some commands are run by idiots and will accept you regardless.)

Required Supplies:

TWO COPIES of DD Form 2648: The form must be filled out entirely (For pages 2-4, you can pretty much go down the line checking “yes” for everything.), you must sign and date Block 28A and 28B, and you must have your career planner sign Block 27 (DO NOT let him sign Block 28C and 28D.)

ONE COPY of your S.M.A.R.T.:  Click “Transcripts” across the top, then “Transcript” down the left side, right-click the document that shows up in the frame, and open it in a new window, this will give you a transcript that you can print. The UNOFFICIAL Transcript is the one you want.  DO NOT request an Official Transcript; that’s the one you would send to a college.

ONE COPY of your VMET:  You can log in on the right side with your MyPay information.  PRINTING INSTRUCTIONS:  MAC Users: Across the top of the page click “Request Document”, then click anywhere on the actual document itself (this is important).  Go to File, Print Current Frame.  PC Users: Across the top of the page click “Request Document”, then click anywhere on the actual document itself (this is important), then go to File, Print Preview, and make sure the second box from the right says “Only the frame selected”.  (In case I’ve confused you I’ve enclosed a picture for PC Users)



Printing Visual for PC Users


YOUR MEDICAL RECORD: Can be checked out from your BAS by filling out a small pink slip stating your name, the date you checked it out on, and where you’re taking it.  This can seriously be accomplished in 5 minutes or less, depending on how quickly the BAS finds your medical record.  You will need to make TWO COPIES of all of the paperwork in your medical record.  If you wish to make additional copies, that is advisable but not required.  (Your dental record is never specifically mentioned, but if you have had any sort of dental trauma – such as chipping a tooth, getting a tooth knocked out, etc – since you’ve been in the marine corps, bringing two copies of your dental record is also advisable.) Once you’re done making copies of your Medical/Dental records be sure to return them to your BAS.

YOUR SERVICE RECORD BOOK:  The marine corps has gone paperless with SRBs.  So now in order to get a physical copy of your SRB you must go to Marine Online. On the far right hand side click on the tab that says “My OMPF” and print all of the Image files contained therein.  (Image Below)  Be advised that this will most likely be in excess of 60 pages, so if you’re printing at a Learning Resource Center or on-base library where there’s a printing limit, it may take several trips to print all of it.


Locations of Image Files on My OMPF


Attending TAP:

[Update, April 12, 2014: One commenter has informed me that TAP is now requiring you to schedule with your Career Planner and your Company. He also says that it is possible to go back and attend TAP up to four times to attend different "pathways". If another reader would confirm this, I'd be very grateful.]

First of all, let me make it clear, on Camp Pendleton, you DO NOT SIGN UP for TAP.  You show up at 0700 and hope you get a seat (Not as hopeless as it sounds, I got a seat on my first try, and if they turn you away they sign your DD 2648 guaranteeing you a spot at the next week’s class).  On Camp Pendleton, the location of the TAP classes moves.  It is usually at the Base Theater, however, to increase your chances of being at the right spot you can call: 760 725-6324 (Camp Pendleton ONLY!)

As I said before, show up (in cammies for the first day), with all of the above-mentioned paperwork at the appointed location at 0700.  It’s good to be a little early, just so you don’t get turned away for being late; however, admission is granted based on how close you are to your EAS (unless you were previously guaranteed a spot) so showing up several hours early doesn’t increase your chances of getting in.

Camp Pendleton’s TAP personnel allow the use of cell phones because of their camera function (You can take a photograph of the slides rather than having to copy the information), however using cell phones for games, Facebook, etc. is not tolerated, and it is still recommended that you brink a pen and paper for any information the instructors pass that is not on the slides.


Step Four: Filing a VA Disability Claim:

While you are attending TAP Class, you should at some point have your medical record screened by a representative from Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), or Disabled American Veterans (DAV).  He will tell you that you need to make a copy of your medical record (Which you should already have since you’re reading this), fill out a couple of forms, and then go next door to one of the VA offices and tell them you need to file a claim.


Step Five: EAS Interview/Separations Worksheet:

The EAS interview is best done as soon as you reach your 6 month mark to make the Separations Worksheet go as smoothly as possible.  You will need to set up your EAS interview by going to your Career Planner, and getting the paperwork.  This paperwork should be pretty much entirely filled out for you, so no worries there.  Once you have the papers you need to go to the Company office, and arrange for the interview with the Company Commander (Not to insult your intelligence, but arrange the meeting with the clerks! Don’t go knocking on the Captain’s door, it’ll just get you yelled at).  The interview is pretty straightforward, the CO will ask what your plans are, where you’re going, what you plan to do for work, etc. etc.  He’ll jot down his notes on the interview sheet, then you’ll both sign it and you’ll be on your way.

Note: Before you let that paperwork out of your site, look a few lines above your signature for your “RE Code” (it may be on the bottom of the previous page if your career planner isn’t very good with computers).  If your RE Code is “1A”, no worries you don’t have to do anything special.  If it is anything OTHER than “1A” you will need to include your Page 11 entries when you fill out your Separations Worksheet.


The Separations Worksheet is the paper you need to apply for Terminal Leave, so needless to say, it’s an important document that no one will ever tell you about if you don’t ask for it specifically.  You should be able to retrieve this magnificent document from your unit’s S1 shop. The worksheet needs to be TURNED IN TO IPAC (For Camp Pendleton it’s Bldg 22162) WITH ALL applicable add-ons, at least 90 days PRIOR to the day you want to take Terminal, or if you’re not taking Terminal leave, it needs to be in at least 90 days prior to your EAS.  (In general if the worksheet asks for something that makes you say “How the hell would I know that?”, leave it blank, it’s probably for someone else to fill out. )  If you intend to take more than 30 days of Terminal Leave you will need the Battalion/Squadron Commander, and SgtMaj to sign off on it, otherwise the Company Commander and 1st Sgt, will suffice.


You will need to attach a copy of your EAS Interview; and if you’re reenlistment code is anything OTHER THAN “1A” you will need to attach a copy of  your Page 11.

Two less common add-ons to the Separations Worksheet are:  A letter from S1 if you are taking PDMRA/PTAD, and A RELMs message if you will be receiving Separations Pay.  Like I said, these two are less common and most likely won’t apply to you, so you don’t need to bother with them.

Note: NOT taking Terminal Leave is a foolish thing to do.  If you choose to sell back 30 days of leave, then you receive 30 days worth of BASIC PAY ONLY!  That pay then has taxes removed etc, leaving you with only a portion of 30 days of Basic Pay.  If you take 30 days of Terminal leave, then you receive BAH for those 30 days, which is NOT taxable.  So basically you’re receiving roughly the same amount of extra money one way or the other, but when you take Terminal leave, you don’t have to work for the extra money.

Note: Although you are supposed to have the Separations Worksheet turned in 90 days prior, IPAC understands that some commands are ran by imbeciles, so if you turn it in late, they will most likely understand.  I know a Marine who turned his in at 48 days prior to the start of his Terminal Leave, and IPAC accepted it, so take the sheet down to them regardless, and the odds are pretty good that you’ll be accepted as well.


Step Six: Checkout Sheet:

You should be able to retrieve your unit checkout sheet from either your Battalion S1, or your Company clerk, depending on your unit, I would recommend starting with the Clerk, just because staying out of Battalion is usually a very sound means of SKATE-ing.


Once you are in possession of this glorious document that will finally be paving your way to freedom, a good starting point would be the areas that are most likely not in your general area of Camp Pendleton (i.e. the library, Joint Education Center, navy and marine corps relief society, etc.)  Checking out of all of these places should realistically take you two to three hours.


From there, the next logical choice would be CIF/IIF (They recently changed their name).  We’ve all heard the horror stories about IIF, but I’ve personally never had any real issues with them.  Here’s a few pointers:

I know every unit has a ban on washing your IIF gear in the washing machines: Ignore that.  If anyone really believes that putting your magazine pouches in the wash will damage either the machine or the pouch more than washing a pair of blue jeans, they’re on drugs and you should probably turn them in to the SACO.  Now, if you’re going to wash your gear in the washing machines, there are a few helpful tips to make sure you don’t get caught by some motivator who happens to be walking around at that exact moment:

  1. Button all of the Buttons!  The buttons on the end of loose straps on the magazine pouches will clink and clank in a dryer so loud that people on the next deck will be complaining.  So button them all down, and they won’t make nearly as much noise.
  2. Remove all of the Buckles!  Same thing with the plastic buckles, they’re nice and quiet in the washing machine while there’s water swishing all around them, but once they go in the drier it’s gonna sound like someone’s lobbing mortars inside that drier, so remove all of the plastic buckles and you’ll have a nice quiet load of laundry that won’t draw unwanted attention.
  3. Remove the Ballistics from your Flak Jacket.  Really, what good is it going to do to clean the ballistic panels anyway?  Just wipe them down with a wet paper towel if you feel the need.  Plus, they’re heavy, heavy things make noise in driers, noise in driers attract motarded NCOs who would love the opportunity to yell at you for washing your gear in the washers.  Don’t attract motarded NCOs, take out the ballistic panels.
  4. Don’t use your laundry bag, use your sleeping bag!  The tag on the sleeping bag specifically says to machine wash it.  So when transporting your gear from your room to the laundry room and back, throw it all in to your sleeping bag.
  5. Keep track of time.  If you’re in a unit with either some nasty gear thieves or a terrible lack of washing machines (which I’m sure you all are), I’m sure the last thing you want is someone to see a washer that’s not running, open it up, and discover all of your IIF gear loaded into a washer.  So set an alarm, try to be back in the laundry room a good 5 minutes before your laundry is done, that’ll give you some time to get it all back into the sleeping bag and out of the room before anyone shows up to “tactically acquire” your gear.
Now, there’s also gear that, for obvious reasons, just can’t be washed. (i.e. Kevlar, Waterproof sacks, and that tarp.)  These are some pretty simple fixes.
  1. The Kevlar: Remove the pads (if you have a lightweight, if not, just remove whatever you can) run some water over it (your sink should be just fine) use a scuz brush if you have any problems.  Job done.
  2. The Tarp: The best way to clean this thing is to take a shower with it, and scrub it down in the shower.  Once that’s done, it’s generally a good idea to find a place where you can hang it up to dry.  If you discover any spots you missed, then get a sponge or some wet paper towels and take care of little spots.
  3. The Waterproof Sacks:  For starters, turn them inside out and take a shower with them.  If you used them to store dirty laundry in the field (and I’m sure a lot of you did) and they still smell (which I’m sure they do) scrub them down with 409 (or your cleaning agent of choice) and a scuz brush.  When you’re done, leave them inside out to dry.  If they still smell, flip them right side in, and put a couple of drier sheets in them.  Don’t worry too much if they still smell a little, when I turned mine in they didn’t stop to smell the insides, so as long as it’s not an overpowering odor you should be just fine.

Finally, once you have an item that is clean, put it into a clean waterproof sack so that it doesn’t get dirty again!  If you follow these steps, checking out of IIF should not be that big of a deal for you.  It should be a fairly simple “in and out” process.

NOTE: You will be getting TWO stamps from IIF. One is for your Gas Mask, the other is for all of the rest of your gear. Some units do one stamp and then place two signatures by it, instead of stamping it twice. Whichever system your IIF uses, MAKE SURE that your sheet has been marked to state that you turned in your Gas Mask, and the rest of your IIF issued gear.


At this point everything left on your checkout sheet should be in the general area you work in.  Supply should be just signing out of a log book.  Armory, clean your rifle really well (or slip your buddy in the armory a $20 and have him clean it really well), tell the career planner that you hate the marine corps so he won’t try to get you to reenlist, go say hi to the Chaplain, go say hi to the FRO, etc etc.  The only thing that will slow this process down is if you have a unit where certain people (especially the FRO) just don’t feel like coming to work most days.  This will most likely become annoying, but once you find this person, it’ll probably be about 2 minutes and it’s done so try not to get too worked up.

Realistically speaking, getting your checkout sheet fully signed on Camp Pendleton can be accomplished in as little as 2 to 3 weeks.  For those of you who have PCS-ed from Okinawa before (myself included) this will come as a huge surprise, and you’ll most likely be wanting to check out several months in advance, but you need to remember that you are back in the U.S. this time around, and you’re no longer at the mercy of the Green Line’s ridiculous bus schedules.  In all reality, 2 to 3 weeks is sufficient.


Step Seven: DD 214:

On the day of your EAS/Terminal Leave, you’re going to need to go back to IPAC Outbound (Bldg. 22162) at or before 0730.  (Showing up early is a good idea to help you avoid the rush.)

You will need:

  • Memorandum for the Record (The Medical and Dental Officers should have signed it after your final physical/dental)
  • TAP class paperwork
  • Unit Checkout Sheet (With 2 CIF/IIF Stamps & Pro Con Marks for Cpl. and below)
  • Meal Card (If applicable)

[Update, Jan 15 2014: Prior to Jan 01 2014 you also had to bring your Medical/Dental records to IPAC in order to get your DD-214. I've been informed that this is no longer the case.]

Once you have all of these things in your possession, and you’ve sat through the endless lines of IPAC, you’ll receive a large packet of papers from one of the IPAC clerks.  They’ll walk you through it, but for the most part it’s just making sure you’re name Social Security Number, and other personal data is correct, and then signing and dating the appropriate blocks.  Once this has all been done (15 minutes, maximum) They’ll collect all of the paperwork I listed above, give you your copies of the DD-214 and you’ll be free to go.
NOTE: If you submitted a VA Disability claim (which I truly hope you did)  You’ll need to get a Certified True Copy of your DD-214.  This is a fairly simple process, you just need to wait in IPAC a little longer while they get the proper authorities to sign and date the Forms, and then make a copy or two for you.  Once you have your copies, you’ll need to drop off one of the copies with the VA (Bldg 13150) prior to leaving Camp Pendleton for good.


Step Eight: Enjoy Your Life!

You are now done with the marine corps for good!  Get off base and enjoy your life!


If you just need to find all of this info for yourself and have the sheer will power to sift through the 534 page Marine Corps Order on the subject to find the information that is relevant to you,  check out MCO P1900.16F W/ Ch1 & 2.


Safety and Peace

  • OilyMarine


    • Anonymous

      Thank you, kindly!

  • OilyMarine



      Thank you, kindly!

    • fuck you all

      this is fucking pathetic, u all make me sick, the Marines are a committed branch, great people, and dedicated to protect our country and those in it, and that means you. I am a Marine who has seen war, and the horrors of war, but I stayed to protect people like you, and I see what you losers actually think.

      • S_The_Mod

        Um we were marines too dude. Some of us still are!

        Just some food for thought.

      • 1Marine

        “I am a Marine who has seen war, and the horrors of war”
        Me too. What’s your point?

        • S_The_Mod

          The only apparent point I see is that he is pissed off.

  • anon

    Anyone know if the pentagon will starting buying out contracts, Is there any info?


      There’s actually being some discussion of that recently, and if congress doesn’t change a bill that basically takes 10% off of each departments budget, the marine corps may have to cancel contracts for up to 18,000 troops.  So we’ll have to see how that goes.

  • anon

    Anyone know if the pentagon will starting buying out contracts, Is there any info?


      There’s actually being some discussion of that recently, and if congress doesn’t change a bill that basically takes 10% off of each departments budget, the marine corps may have to cancel contracts for up to 18,000 troops.  So we’ll have to see how that goes.

  • Weasley

    Printing this out and making copies!


      Glad to be of service! If your experience is different, or if you come up with any handy tips, be sure to let me know!

      Safety and Peace

  • alex g

    So should i go to the bas and document every little pain problem and in the future it will help me out 100% and also i just had surgery on my collar bone and a plate put in from snowboarding can i claim that too?


      Well, just to be fair, not every ache and pain will be able to help you, simply because some things don’t qualify for disability. I would still document everything on the off-chance that something does qualify that you weren’t aware of.

      Some good examples of aches and pains that do qualify are: Ringing in your ears, Joint problems (knees, shoulders, elbows anything like that), Back pain, Any loss of range of motion of your arms or legs, and any pain that makes it difficult for you to fall asleep at night. (I might recommend exaggerating the “difficult to sleep” part)

      Also if you ever chipped a tooth, or anything like that, if you get rated with at least 10% “Dental Trauma” the VA will provide dental care for the rest of your life.

      As for your collar bone, I’d say go ahead and claim it, but I wouldn’t recommend telling them you broke it while snowboarding.

      If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

      Safety and Peace

      • Alex g

        thanks a lot! this helps so much man oh and technically i broke it while i was in a pt session. LOL thanks again, and in all realness my back pain is so uncomfortable that I really go days without sleep. I have an appointment with a chiropractor here soon!

        • alex g

          any thoughts?

        • NINJA_PUNCH

          Well, if it says it in the medical record, then yeah, they’ll know. I’m just don’t volunteer any information that would make them question whether or not they should give you benefits.

          Frankly, if the back pain is that bad, then there’s no point in exaggerating it. Just make sure that you make the VA guys very aware of how much pain your back gives you. Be very explicit. And if you feel the pain in your shoulders as well, or notice any loss of motion there, make sure to tell them that as well. You can get disability for your back, and for each shoulder, so if you’re feeling it, that’s an easy way to turn 10% – 20% into 30% – 40% and that’s a sizable jump in compensation.

          I’m not making any promises, I don’t know what rating the VA is gonna give you, but this is the best advice I have at my disposal.

          Safety and Peace

      • alex g

        oh and another question wouldnt the va know how i injured my collarbone if its on paper in my medical records??

  • nts

    Does ipac run an additional background check on your social or anything like that or do you just verify old information?


      Nope they didn’t run a background check or anything like that. You just have to review your info and make sure they didn’t make any mistakes on your paperwork.

  • ConcernedRine

    Just to be clear, the after getting the separations worksheet and getting it filled out and whatnot, Is that and the addons the only thing I bring to IPAC at that time to get terminal leave started? Or should I have already drafted the terminal leave letter thing and submitted the request online before I even get the worksheet? (already got the EAS interview, TAPS, and final physical done, now am just faced with terminal leave and don’t know where to get started)


      Assuming that nothing has changed since last year, you DO NOT need to submit Terminal Leave through MOL. I remember my Captain wanted me to submit a leave request to him for Terminal, but since I already had the Colonel’s signature on my Separation Worksheet I just ignored him, and I went on my 40 days of Terminal with no problem.

      If I were you, I’d take the Separation Worksheet with any Add-ons down to IPAC, they should sit down with you at a computer, and set your Terminal Leave dates with you right then and there. If that’s what they do, then no worries, you’re golden. If not, ask them if you need to submit it through MOL, or if there’s ANYTHING else that you need to do.

      Free piece of advice: Never leave the desk at IPAC without asking “Is there anything else that I should know?” It’s a great way to make sure that you don’t get blindsided by last minute paperwork.

      If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

      Safety and Peace

      • ConcernedRine

        So essentially what you’re saying is if IPAC clears my terminal leave, then I don’t have to go through my chain? I suppose alot of my confusion is what the separations worksheet entails exactly. I’ll be going to my Co. office soon to see if I can pick one up, but I have a feeling they’re gonna run me through hoops and in circles when it’s supposed to be simpler.
        Thanks for the answer though bro :D

        • NINJA_PUNCH

          Yeah, the separation worksheet really wasn’t too bad, except for getting the higher-up’s signatures.

          But no, you shouldn’t have to go through your chain of command to approve the leave, since that’s what the worksheet is for.

  • Deavon

    No matter what I need two stamps from iif? Cause they have only given me one stamp and two signatures


      That’s probably the equivalent.

      When I went through they gave one stamp for the gas mask and one stamp for the rest of the gear. I would assume that the two signatures will work just the same. If you want to be on the safe side you could always go back to IIF and double-check with them, but I think you’ll be fine.

      Safety and Peace


      I’ve added a note to the “Checking out of CIF/IIF” section to reflect your question. Thanks for the feedback on how your unit runs things.


    Im waiting on my 5 day letter for my admin sep. I have been told its at divisional level and all we are waiting for is that final signature. Any ideas how long till I get it back?

    • S_The_Mod

      It’s hard to say man. When I was in I knew a guy who waited for that signature for over a year, I think because they just wanted to mess with him. They kept ‘losing’ the paper work.

      On the other hand, there were others who were getting separated for similar reasons and they were processed out in a matter of months.

      I guess it all depends on how well organized your command is, and/or how ‘nice’ they are.

  • AbohorredByYouAll

    Passing-out after 18 hours without food? Wow, definitely need to be separated from the Marine Corps…and the Boy Scouts, and the tennis team, and adulthood in general.

    • S_The_Mod

      Apparently, you are upset. Care to talk about it?

  • Jay Sung

    you no longer need to fas for a blood draw. They are checking for HIV only.

  • Wow

    Your an idiot.


      Wow, you really made an intelligent, thought-provoking response. Would you care to try again, or is that really all you have?

      By the by, the word you were looking for is “You’re”.

      Safety and Peace

      • S_The_Mod

        Alternatively you can choose not to use “You’re” and just use “You are”.

        With that said, I think we all know who the idiot is lol.

    • S_The_Mod

      You’re adorable.

  • 5811bull

    Show up in uod or civies cause I’m taking terminal)?


      Uniform of the Day. Remember, IPAC is full of admin guys (and admin SNCO’s) Just show up in the uniform of the day, get your DD 214 and then change to civvies right after that.

  • Anonymous

    So let’s say that I’m fresh out of boot camp, attended SOI and MOS, how do I manage to get out without a dishonorable discharge?


      As long as you’ve been in the marine corps for less than 180 days, you technically qualify for an Entry Level Separation. That being said, following this article and refusing to train would be your best option:

      One important note though, since you’re no longer in boot camp, there’s no guarantee that your command will actually give you an ELS. However, the worst they could give you would be an OTH discharge. Contrary to what your DI’s probably told you, an OTH is not the end of the world. Sure you wouldn’t get most of your benefits, but you haven’t been in long enough to have any benefits coming anyway. Lastly, an OTH won’t effect your ability to find a job, except that it might be a bit harder to get hired for some government jobs.

      If you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

      Safety and Peace

      • Mickey

        Is there a way to get out of the Marine Corps anytime without going AWOL? I heard from Adam Kokesh (the Marine who loaded a shotgun in DC/did the Troops for Ron Paul campaign), said that you could apply for Conscientious Objector but I heard that you could get still get sent somewhere as a result.

        • NINJA_PUNCH

          That’s kind of a hard question. In a lot of cases, if your unit knows that you want to get out they’ll make it as hard as possible for you to get out. I once new a guy who would go down to the Exchange and get caught stealing a pack of cigarettes (or something small like that) almost every weekend. It wasn’t that he didn’t have any money, he WANTED to get caught so he could get kicked out, and the unit knew this, so they kept digging in their heels and saying “If you do this one more time you’re getting kicked out!” (as if that was a threat to him.

          That being said, the fact that you used the term “AWOL” suggests to me that you’re not a marine, so may I ask why you want to know? Are you thinking of joining, or anything like that? Or are you just curious? Either way is fine I’m just curious.

          Safety and Peace

  • Sean

    So I got an administrative separation sent in December and it was expedited with two 6105′s to speed up the process. I’m just wondering what I’m looking at time wise and if any of this checking out and classes apply to me. I’ve been in for a year and six months.


      The vast majority of this (if not all of it) should still apply. You will still need to get a final physical, you’ll still need to attend TAP, you’ll still need to check out of IIF and your unit.

      Unfortunately, I can’t really say how long it will be until your admin sep goes through the system. It would probably be best if you keep harassing your Sgt (or whoever) to figure out when your separation date will be to figure our when you’ll have to attend TAPs and get all of your stuff done.

  • DRShinsel

    Another update for you. I only speak of Camp Pen, I just went on terminal the 2nd. Anyone with an EAS after 01 Jan 2014 will turn in both med and dental records to their BAS. You don’t take them to IPAC any more.

    • freeatlastfreeatlast

      Be sure to make yourself copies of both before you leave. Also, set up your med screening with the VA reps on Pendleton before you leave as well. They’re on the second or third floor of the family services building behind the chow hall on main side.

  • Help

    In currently trying to get out SOI any tips please I’m suicidal:(


      1) Get to Medical first thing in the morning. Don’t tell your Instructors that you’re suicidal or they’ll just give you hell over it. (In case you haven’t noticed the marine corps doesn’t really believe that mental health is a thing yet.) If you have to tell them something, tell them you fell on a hike or something and messed up your knee, then tell the docs the real deal.

      2) When you’re with the doc EXAGGERATE. The doc is probably going to try to get you to say “Oh it’s not that bad” so if you make your situation sound as bad as you can, and the doc tries to make that sound a bit better, you’ll probably meet in the middle and get it right.

      3) Request to talk to a psychologist/counsellor, and don’t take “no” for an answer.

      4) The other thing you could do is refuse to train. Basically, follow this article

      The only difference is (since you’re in SOI) you might not get an Entry Level Separation, but the worst you could get is an OTH which will have negligible effect on your civilian life.

      Safety and Peace

  • Admin Nerd

    If you go to TAPs in anything other than business attire they can and will send you away. Unless, you are getting out on some type of admin sep and are not allowed to wear civilian attire. Also you do have to schedule a date with your career planner as well as your command since it is a week long now. This of course is for Camp Pen. The good news is because they have different pathways to choose,from,you can go back 4 times to do every pathway. You still only need one sheet signed saying you actually did the class.

    • hooyut

      If you go to the one near Basilone gate if you wear nice jeans and a button down you are fine. One guy was wearing jeans, sneakers, and a tshirt and they didn’t even kick him out.

  • GruntAndIHateIt

    So I made it through boot camp and SOI and now I’m a grunt in my unit and have legit back pain have been here 2 weeks and want a new MOS (like a pog job) or I want out I am goin to medical Monday


      Since you made it through SOI you’re probably not in entry level status anymore. So unless the docs find something seriously wrong with your back and get you on Limited Duty, it’s going to be very hard for you to get out.

      • GruntAndIHateIt

        If they find out I have an extra veribre in my spine? I know but the corps doesn’t and it’s not on any medical record

        • NINJA_PUNCH

          If you knew that before your enlistment and it would’ve medically disqualified you, that might constitute a fraudulent enlistment. You could theoretically be fined/imprisoned for that, but it might get you out of the marine corps.

          On the other hand, depending on who you tell, they might just say “So? Everyone lies to their recruiter. Who cares?”

          It’s really a crap shoot as to whether it will get you out.